About Us: SHCC is a small-and-mighty, kid-centered nonprofit community center—now in its 81st year. Since 1937, SHCC has been providing support and programs for local families, especially immigrant and refugee families and low-income children and their families in the North End and surrounding areas of Burlington. We serve over 1,100 children annually. All of the Center’s programs are free or low-cost. In a climate of discrimination across the world, we stand firm in our commitment to expanding our space and our programs, thus expanding our welcome and making sure every child and adult served at SHCC is treated with respect and dignity.
The following positions are currently open:
Position Title: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Passion, vision, advocacy, collaboration, not afraid to ask, business savvy, change agent – these are the subtleties that define our new leader. This is an exciting time to lead SHCC with a new building under construction, program expansion, a high degree of staff, Board and community engagement, and flourishing children.
The ideal candidate will have 5 or more years in a supervisory or managerial role, a higher ed degree in Education/Social Services or related field, be experienced with non-profit administration, youth program development & reporting, fundraising, fiscal management, and public relations.
For a more complete job description, please visit:
Interested applicants please send resume, cover letter and 3 references to:
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: Exec Dir application
Application deadline: 12/18/2019
Position Title: Substitute Assistant Teachers
Reports To: Program Director for which program individual is substituting
Work Hours: Monday through Friday hours vary depending on the program
Position Overview: Under the direction of the Program Director, substitute assistant teachers are employed on an as needed, on-call, day-to-day basis and are not guaranteed work on a regular basis. There are no benefits associated with substitute employment.
Duration: year-round; except when SHCC is closed for holidays and school vacations
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides instruction according to plans as prepared by the regular classroom teacher and manages classroom behavior and environment.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the appropriate supervisor or administrator.
- Uses appropriate judgment to act in the best interests of students at all times.
- Maintains a classroom environment and routine which promote active learning.
- Works with students to help promote and maintain learning objectives.
- Attends mandatory meetings and trainings.
- Adheres to Sara Holbrook Community Center policies and procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Early Childhood Education college credits preferred
- Experience working in a child care setting preferred
- Experience working with children with special needs and ELL students
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Leadership and team work skills
- The ability to multitask and take on different roles
- Excellent skills in interactions with parents and guardians
Hiring is subject to:
- Completion of employment application
- Review of Resume completeness including education, experience and skills
- Verification of three recommendation letters
- Completion of interview
- Fingerprint and Background Clearance
- Statewide Central Register Clearance
- Child Abuse and Maltreatment Certification (online training)
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by persons assigned to this position. They do not include all job duties performed by employees in this position. Sara Holbrook Community Center is EOE.
Thanks for your interest in working with us!
For questions about these positions or employment with SHCC, please contact Anera Fočo at: email@example.com
(All positions listed until filled. Site last updated 11/07/2019)